Whittington, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Whittington, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Lichfield PLU|
|Parish registers: 1574|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1663|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Whittington and Baswich|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
WHITTINGTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2½ miles (E. by S.)from Lichfield. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births marriages and deaths. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Whittington St Giles parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|WHITTINGTON PARISH Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1574-1954 Mar 1574-1926 Bur 1574-1931
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1663-1870 Mar 1663-1840 Bur 1663-1870 Bap/Mar/Bur missing 1816 Bap/Bur missing 1858,1868
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Whittington, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474613.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 557-560. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 August 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,240 times.