Wilder Battery, Indiana Light ArtilleryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized May, 1861, but not accepted. Mustered in as Company "A," 17th Indiana Infantry, June 12, 1861. They mustered out July 19, 1865 at Greenville, East Tennessee. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
The Wikipedia article, 26th Independent Battery Indiana Light Artillery, (accessed 20 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Twenty-sixth Battery - many men from Decatur, Pike, Marion, Posey, Boone, and Gibson counties - see Roster on page 778-781
The Battery with their counties and their rosters are on the Wilder Battery or 26th Indiana Light Battery, on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 30 Jun 2011 )
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) has histories of the Wilder Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the Wilder Battery. .
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- This page was last modified on 20 June 2012, at 17:02.
- This page has been accessed 892 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki