Willenhall St Stephen, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Willenhall St Stephen, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Willenhall St Stephen, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Wolverhampton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1848|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of Wolverhampton; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
WILLENHALL, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Wolverhampton, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (W.)from Walsall, on the road to Wolverhampton. Two districts, named respectively St. Stephen's and Holy Trinity, were endowed in 1846. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Willenhall St Stephen was formed in 1846
Willenhall St Stephen parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|WOLV = Wolverhampton History - free|
|WILLENHALL ST STEPHEN PARISH Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Willenhall St Stephen, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474618.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 577-579. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Register Indexes', The History of Wolverhampton: The City and Its People, accessed 20 August 2014.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:40.
- This page has been accessed 1,303 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More