Wilmslow, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WILMSLOW (St. Bartholomew), is a parish, in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Macclesfield, North division of the county of Chester, 8 miles (N. W. by N.) from Macclesfield; containing, with the townships of Bollin-Fee, Chorley, Fulshaw, and Pownall-Fee. It is situated on the road from Manchester to Birmingham,and is intersected by the small river Bollin. The railway from Manchester to Crewe runs through the parish. The Wesleyans, Calvinistic Methodists, Quakers, and Unitarians, have places of worship.
Wilmslow, Saint Bartholomew's, is an Ancient Parish in Cheshire and includes Bollin Fee, Bollinfee, Pownall Fee, Chorley near Macclesfield, Fulshaw, and Chorley.
The earliest documentary evidence of a church on the site is dated 1246. Nothing of this church remains but there is a crypt leading from the chancel which pre-dates the present church. Most of the church was built in the early 16th century also though it is possible that the lower part of the tower dates from the 15th century. The Hawthorne Chapel was added to the south side of the church in 1700, replacing a former chantry dated 1520. There was a restoration in 1862-63 by Brakspear, in 1878 Crowther added the vestry and the south porch, and a clerestory was added to the chancel in 1898 by Bodley and Garner.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241246.
Wilmslow St Bartholomew registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|Wilmslow St Bartholomew Parish (1558) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1558-1910
|FS BT'S|| 1599-1860
Dean Row registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AUDLEY PARISH (1538) Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers for Wilmslow, Cheshire, 1558-1948 Cheshire Record Office call number: P123/3466/1/1-7, P123/3466/2/1-3, P123/3/1-6, P123/3466/5/1-3, P123/2492/C3/1/3/1-8, P123/3466/4/1-2, P123/5650/1-11, 14.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly Record Search)
|Parish registers Contents||FHL Films|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1558-1624.|| BRITISH |
2106691 Item 9
|Burials, Apr 1624-1812. Marriages, 1624-1788. Baptisms, Apr 1624-1864.||BRITISH 2106692|
|Baptisms, Sep 1864-1877. Banns, 1754-1766, 1791-1803. Marriages, 17541-1863. Burials, 1813-1870.||BRITISH 2106693|
|Burials, 1870 (from 9 Sep.)-1882. Marriage licences and certificate, 1742, 1824-1829. Coroner's warrants for burial, 1820-1829.||BRITISH 2106694 Items 1 - 3|
|Banns 1766-1795, 1819-1844.||BRITISH 2147235 Items 4 - 7|
|Baptisms, 1877-1910. Marriages, 1863-Apr. 1919.||BRITISH 2147235 Items 4 - 7|
|Marriages, Apr. 1919-1948. Banns of Marriages, 1845-1889, 1906-1939. Burials, 1882-1902.||BRITISH 2147236|
Bishop's transcripts for Wilmslow, 1599-1860 Cheshire Record Office number: ECC/221
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s Transcripts is available online in Family Search Historical records ( formerly Record Search)
- Wilmslow, Sacred Heart and St. Teresa (Roman Catholic), Green Lane. Founded 1876 in Alma Lane, the present church was opened in 1914. Registers of baptisms 1871–1958, marriages 1884–1948 and burials 1889–1958 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Wilmslow, Friends' Meeting House (Quakers), Altrincham Road. Founded 17th century. Registers 1654–1831 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Morley, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Water Lane. Built in 1798, rebuilt in 1884.
- Wilmslow, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Dean Row. Founded 1799, Built in 1849. Registers 1807–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Wilmslow, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Lende End. Built in 1807. Registers 1796–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Hough, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1838. Registers of baptisms 1854–1984 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Wilmslow, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Hawthorn Street. Built in 1870.
- Wilmslow, Presbyterian Chapel, Dean Row. Founded 1672, Built in 1688, became Unitarian Chapel in 1748. Records of births/baptisms 1748–1980, marriages 1845–63 and deaths/burials 1751–1857 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Styal, Norcliffe Unitarian Chapel. Founded 1824. Registers of marriages 1840–1890 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Wilmslow, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational). Built in 1847.
Church records, 1889-1958 Records contain Latin. Cheshire Record Office call number: ERC 25/5247/1-2, 4.
Cheshire Non-conformist records are available online in FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly known as Record Search)
|Other Contents||FHL Film|
|Burials, 1889-1958, Sacred Heart and St. Teresa Catholic Church|| BRITISH |
2068257 Item 4
Church records for the Morley Society of Friends monthly meetings, 1677-1831 Morley is a hamlet in Wilmslow parish.
Cheshire Record Office call numbers: EFC 1/1-3; EFC 1/10/1-3. Cheshire Non-conformist records are available online in FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly known as Record Search)
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Minutes of men's meetings, including intentions and completions of marriages, 1677-1722 (includes Stockport, Macclesfield, and Eaton).|| BRITISH |
2299553 Items 5 - 6
|Minutes of men's meetings, including intentions and completions of marriages, 1722-1831 (includes Stockport, Macclesfield, and Eaton) (includes removals, admittances to membership and an index). Minutes of women's meetings, including intentions and completions of marriages and disbursements to the poor, 1703-1730.|| BRITISH |
|Minutes of women's meetings, including intentions and completions of marriages, 1730-1804.|| BRITISH |
2299642 Items 1 - 2
Church records, 1748-1980 Unitarian Chapel (Dean-Row, Cheshire) Dean-Row is a hamlet in the parish of Wilmslow.
Cheshire Record Office no.: EUC/1/1/3
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1748-1810 Memorandum Burials, 1776-1859 Births, baptisms, 1809-1822 Births, 1817-1863|| BRITISH |
1736978 Items 13-14
|Births, 1864-1980|| BRITISH |
1736979 Item 1
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Altrincham (1837–98)
- Bucklow (1898–1974)
- Macclesfield (1974–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions
- Altrincham (1836–95)
- Bucklow (1895–1930)
- Altrincham (renamed Bucklow) Poor Law Union, Cheshire
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Date Accessed: 19 April 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 14 October 2013.
- ↑ 'CPR Project Progress (As on 17 January 2014),' Cheshire Parish Register Project, accessed 1 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 15 October 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 355–360
- Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, pp. 80–81, ISBN 1871731232
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 384–385, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2014, at 04:01.
- This page has been accessed 3,316 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki