Winnebago Indian Agency (Wisconsin)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Agency for the Winnebago Indians was originally called the Prairie du Chien Agency.
A special agent was appointed in 1864 for the Winnebago and Potawatomi Indians who had gone to Wisconsin to avoid moving to the Crow Creek Reservation in Dakota Territory. This special agency was located at Plover in Portage County until 1869 and then moved to Necedah and then to New Lisbon, in Juneau County. It was abolished in 1870. Most of the Winnebago Indians settled at the Winnebago Reservation in eastern Nebraska, where the Winnebago Agency had moved in 1865.
Agents and Appointment Dates
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the several Winnebago Agencies, 1826-1875, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Rolls 931-947. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll numbers 1661661 thru 1661677.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 205-208.
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M2343, p. 8.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 19 January 2013, at 22:28.
- This page has been accessed 1,045 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki