Winneshiek County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Winneshiek County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Winneshiek County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1847|
1847 Winneshiek County was created 20 February 1847 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Clayton County prior to organization 1 March 1851. County seat: Decorah 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
First Lutheran Church
- Records of the First Lutheran Church, Winneshiek County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Petri Lutheran Church, Decorah
- Records of the St. Petri Lutheran Church, Decorah, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Stavanger Lutheran Church, Ossian
- Records of the Stavanger Lutheran Church, Ossian, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Winneshiek County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Winneshiek County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Winneshiek - Probate records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Winneshiek County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Norwegian Ridge
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2013, at 21:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,412 times.