Winston County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Winston County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
1833--Winston County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Louisville 
For tips on accessing Winston County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Winston County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Winston County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Winston County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Winston County.
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - New Prospect Greys
- Company E - Pettus Rebels
- Company F - Winston Rifles
- - Perrin's Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company C - Metts’ Company
- Company D - Perkins’ Company
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Metts’ Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Winston County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1834-1925 - Winston County Marriage Books 1-13 Index 1834-1925 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Winston County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 1 July 2013, at 21:11.
- This page has been accessed 2,764 times.