Winton County, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Winton County was never surveyed or properly laid out. Its boundaries were ambiguous. Its county government never became fully functional. Most records were kept at the parish level; few were kept at the county level. In this case the term "county" had little meaning other than to describe an approximate geographical area. For the most part it was a county in name only.
"Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the My South Carolina Genealogy website. The maps rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
- ↑ "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A History of Winton County, South Carolina in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/Winton_county_sc.html (accessed 5 May 2011).
- ↑ Carolana cites E. B. Reynolds and J.R. Faunt, The County Offices and Officers of Barnwell Co., SC 1775-1975 (Spartanburg: Reprint Co., 1976).
- This page was last modified on 18 June 2013, at 22:26.
- This page has been accessed 1,347 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More