Winyah County, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Winyah County was never surveyed or properly laid out. Its boundaries were ambiguous. Its county government never became functional. Most records were kept at the parish level, or at the Georgetown District level; none were kept at the county level. There was no county seat. There were no political connotations to the county's existence. In this case the term "county" had no meaning other than to describe an approximate geographical area. It was a county in name only. 
For documents of people who lived in this area 1785-1800, look in:
"Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the My South Carolina Genealogy website. They rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
- ↑ "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A History of Winyah District (County) in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/Winyah_county_sc.html (accessed 5 May 2011).
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1775" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1775.html (accessed 9 May 2011).
- This page was last modified on 9 May 2011, at 21:31.
- This page has been accessed 874 times.