Wisconsin, Marriage Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 .
The collection consists of an index to marriages from the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services in Madison for the years 1973 to 1997. The index is provided by Ancestry.com.
The index may include the following information:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Name of spouse (May only list surname)
- Reference ID - Page/Volume/Entry/Certificate Number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The names of the bride and groom
- The marriage place
- The marriage date
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for a different index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
- There is also the possibility that a family was missed in the census.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Wisconsin, Marriage Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Wisconsin Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Wisconsin.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2005.
- This page was last modified on 9 September 2014, at 21:12.
- This page has been accessed 5,772 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki