Wisconsin Divorce Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Wisconsin Divorce Index, 1965-1984 .
This Collection includes record from 1965 to 1984.
The collection consists of indexes to divorce records from the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services. The index is provided by Ancestry.com.
The index lists the following information:
- Name of husband
- Name of wife
- Docket number
- Divorce date
- Divorce place
- Reference number (page, volume, entry number)
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of the divorce
- The place where the divorce occurred
- The approximate divorce date
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the wiki article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for a different index. Divorce records are a court record. Court records are often indexed at the beginning or end of record volumes. You might also want to check with a local genealogical or historical society as they often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby states.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Wisconsin, divorce Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Wisconsin Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Wisconsin.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Wisconsin, Divorce Index, 1965-1984." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Wisconsin, Divorce Index." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2008.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Wisconsin Divorce Index, 1965-1984.|
- This page was last modified on 3 November 2014, at 16:09.
- This page has been accessed 2,817 times.