Wisconsin PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Family history periodicals typically publish indexes and transcriptions of local sources, family histories, and articles on how to conduct genealogical research. They may publish family histories, historical background, maps, information about local records and archives, queries, transcripts of family Bibles, and indexes of church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, military records, obituaries, and wills. Usually published by genealogical or historical societies, they typically focus on the records of a particular geographic area, although some specialize in particular ethnic groups or religions.
The major periodicals and magazines helpful for Wisconsin research include:
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society Newsletter. 1954–. Published by the Society, P.O. Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705-0106. (Family History Library book 977.5 B2n.) There is a cumulative index to 1963.
- Wisconsin Families Quarterly of the Wisconsin Genealogical Society. 1940–41. Published by the Wisconsin Genealogical Society. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25w; film 873820 item 2.)
- M.C.G.S. Reporter. 1969–. Published by the Milwaukee County Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 27326, Milwaukee, WI 53227-0326. (Family History Library book 977.594 D25mc.)
- Genealogical Gems. 1982–. Published by the Fox Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1592, Appleton, WI 54913-1592. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25g.)
- La Crosse Area Genealogical Quarterly. 1974–. Published by the La Crosse Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1782, La Crosse, WI 54602-1782. (Family History Library book 977.571 D25L.)
- Wisconsin Magazine of History - The complete collection from 1917 to the present has been digitized and place online at the Wisconsin Historical Society website. The Family History Library has indexes for volumes 1–75 which cover the issues to 1991. Microfilms of this magazine are available from University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan at http://www.hvcn.org/info/gswc/library/libumgrad.htm.
- Korzenie/Roots/Polish Genealogical Society of Wisconsin. 1989–. Polish Genealogical Society of Wisconsin, P.O. Box 342341, Milwaukee, WI 53234-2341; semi-annual. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25k.)
- Family Finding: a quarterly newsletter of the Wisconsin Jewish Genealogical Society. 1990–. Published by the Society, c/o Penny Deshur, 9280 N. Fairway Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53217; quarterly. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25fa.)
- Wisconsin Then and Now/. Madison, WI: State Historical Society of Wisconsin. 1954–1979; quarterly. (Family History Library book 977.5 B2wt.)
- Gems of Genealogy. 1975–. Bay Area Genealogical Society; P.O. Box 283, Green Bay, WI 54305-0283; bi-monthly. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25gg.)
- French Canadian/Acadian Genealogists of Wisconsin Quarterly. 1987–. French Canadian Genealogists of Wisconsin, P.O. Box 414, Hales Corners, WI 53130; Tel. 414-786-6408. Quarterly. (Family History Library 977.5 D25f.) The quarterly includes lists of surnames being researched by members.
Indexes. The periodicals listed above may have annual indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987–. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 1847–1985 on fiche 6016863 [40 fiche]; 1986–1990 on fiche 6016864 [15 fiche].) Indexes thousands of family history periodicals. Annual indexes have been published yearly since 1986. For further details, see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog, WorldCat, and regional or local libraries for available copies.
The Family History Library has many collected periodicals. These can be found by using Place-name Search or a Title Search of the FamilySearch Catalog. Some periodicals may be found with a Keyword Search for the name of the publishing society.
Copies of periodicals on FHL microfilm and microfiche can be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers. Also find Wisconsin Periodical resources available at other libraries (WorldCat). As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog.
For more family history periodicals, look in the Locality Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
WISCONSIN- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN, [COUNTY]- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN, [COUNTY]- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN, [COUNTY]- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:45.
- This page has been accessed 2,123 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki