Wise County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Wise County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 25 family history books and articles have been published about Wise County's families.
- Main article: Wise County, Virginia
Wise County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
Wise County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 25 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Wise County families include:
- Adams, James Taylor (1892-1954). James Taylor Adams Collection. MSS., Cooke-Wyllie Library, Clinch Valley College, Wise, Va.; microfilmed reproduction available: FHL Collection [Adams collected material for a history of the first settlers of Wise County, Virginia.]
- Heritage Book Committee and Wise County Historical Society. The Heritage of Wise County and the City of Norton. 2 vols. [Wise, Virginia?]: Wise County Historical Society (Va.), c1993, 2001. FHL Collection
- Laningham, Anne Wynn and Hattie Byrd Muncy Bales. Early Settlers of Lee County, Virginia and Adjacent Counties. 2 vols. Greensboro, North Carolina: Media, Inc., 1977. FHL Collection
- Lockwood, Frances B. and Hattie Byrd Muncy Bales. Annotations, Corrections and Additions to Early Settlers of Lee County, Virginia and Adjacent Counties. 1978. FHL Collection [Includes Wise County families.]
Wise County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Austin] Austin, David Washington. "Some Recollections of David Washington Austin 1849-1939," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 3, No. 18 (Dec. 1980):34-40. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 3 (1980).
- [Baker] Brown, Nancy Clark. "Are You Related To...Loretta Webb Lynn," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 12, No. 4 (Dec. 2007):4-22. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 12.
- [Beverly] Adkins, Frank M. "A Historical Sketch of the Beverlys," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 19 (Feb. 1981):14-20. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Boggs] Williams, Cratis D. and William Henderson Boggs. The Boggs Family. U.S.A.?: C.D. Williams, 1965?. FHL Collection
- [Bolling] Bolling, C. Glenn. History of the Bolling Family, of Wise County, Virginia, Formerly (until 1856) a Part of Russell County, Virginia. MSS., 1963, microfilmed reproduction: FHL Collection
- [Brock] Addington, Luther F. The Brocks: Ephraim Brock and Aggie Caldwell of Eastern Kentucky and Southwest Virginia, their Ancestors and Descendants. Wise, Va.: Historical Society of Southwest Virginia, . FHL Collection
- [Campbell] Nodine, P. Geraldine. Daugherty and Related Families, ca. 1800-1979. MSS., microfilmed reproduction: FHL Collection
- [Comann] Gray, Anne Comann. "Thomas Wilkins Comann (October 16, 1857 to September 27, 1944)," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Dec. 1996):75-77. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 3 (Dec. 1996).
- [Creech] Robertson, Bruce E. The Descendants of Elijah Creech, 1841-1926. Slidell, Louisiana: B.E. Robertson, 1995. FHL Collection
- [Creech] Heinemann, Martha. "Creeches Who Were Legal Heirs of Thomas Robertson of White County, Tennessee," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 4 (Dec. 2005):27-28. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 10.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Wise County Duncans.
- [Graham] Graham, Sam Dixon. Genealogical Notes Concerning the Graham Family of Southwestern Virginia (Primarily Lee, Wise, and Tazewell counties) and the O'Neill Family of Albemarle County, Va. Donated 2008. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Hale] Rhodes, Stephen A. "Wayfaring Pilgrims," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 11, No. 4 (Dec. 2006):70-82. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 11.
- [Hamilton] Hamilton, Ernest, Jim Hamilton, and Bertha Qualls. William A. Hamilton Family 1787-1989. . FHL Collection
- [Hayes] Walter, L. Thelma Chandler and Theodore B. Walter. A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of Bazeal Hayes of Charley, Lawrence County, Kentucky. Lexington, Kentucky: Theodore B. Walter, 1981. FHL Collection
- [Kilgore] Phillips, Timothy H. "The Kilgores of Stonega Wise County, Virginia," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Dec. 1996):82-83. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 3 (Dec. 1996).
- [Lane] Steele, Fannie Lane. The Lane Family: The Ancestry and Descendants of General Jackson Lane and Allied Families: Crabtree, Estep, Hutchinson, Powers, Ritchie, Roberson, Russell. Wise, Virginia: F.L. Steele, 1991. FHL Collection
- [McCoy] The McCoys of Russell & Wise Counties: MacKay, MacKoy, MacCoy, McKoy, McCoy. 200-?. FHL Collection
- [McNiel] McNiel, Robert Osborn. The Ancestors and Immediate Descendants of William Kennett McNiel of Wise County, Virginia. James Taylor Adams Collection, Box 62. Microfilmed reproduction: FHL Collection.
- [Marshall] Marshall, Ganell. The Marshall Family. 2004.
- [Mills] Frazier, Margaret Mills. "Searching for Mills's and Fraziers," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Apr. 1978):51-54. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Moore] McCloskey, Cheryl Moore. Descendants of John Moore, Revolutionary War Veteran, Floyd County, Kentucky: the Moore Book, an Account of John Moore (1758-1836) Birth, Orange County, North Carolina; Revolution Residence, Surry County, North Carolina; Marriage, Rockingham County, North Carolina; Deceased, Floyd County, Kentucky and His Descendants Floyd County, Kentucky; Scott and Wise Counties, Virginia. Villa Hills, Ky.: C.M. McCloskey, 1996. FHL Collection
- [Powers] See Lane.
- [Riggs] Sutton, Rita K. "The Riggs Family (A Partial Genealogy)," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 5 (1978):2-15. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Riggs] Sutton, Rita Kennedy. "The Riggs Family (A Partial Genealogy)," The Appalachian Quarterly (June 2002):4-27. FHL Book 975.5743 D25a v. 7 (2002).
- [Riggs] Smith, Alvy Ray. William Riggs of Virginia and His Probable Family (c1765-2005). Berkeley, Calif.: Ars Longa, 2011. Digital version at Edwardian Riggs of America (PDF file) - free.
- [Russell] Russell, Andrew. "Some History of the Russell Family from 1782 to 1865," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 2, No. 10 (August 1979):7-12. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 2 (1979).
- [Salyer] Witt, Dorothy. "Samuel Salyer of Wise County, Virginia," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Sep. 1996):71-72. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 2 (Sep. 1996).
- [Sturgill] Hamilton, Emory L. and Virginia Wise. John Sturgill and Jemema Wells of Grayson Co. Va.; Their Posterity and History. MSS., microfilmed reproduction: FHL Collection
- [Vanderpool] Magoffin County Historical Society, Kay Conley Bentley and Stacey Blanton. The Vanderpool Family of Eastern Kentucky. 2 vols. plus index. Salyersville, Kentucky: Magoffin County Historical Society, c2001. FHL Collection
- [Wampler] Gilliam, Maude. "Wampler Family History," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 3, No. 17 (Oct. 1980):30-31. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 3 (1980).
- [Weedon] Karracker, James L. and George Harrison Sanford King. The Weedon Family of Westmoreland, Prince William, Fauquier, Culpeper Counties, Va. FHL Collection
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 19:17.
- This page has been accessed 5,255 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki