Withiel, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Withiel, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Withiel St Clement contributor Sheila Russell
|Poor Law Union||Bodmin PLU|
|Parish registers: 1567|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
WITHIEL (St. Uvell), a parish, in the union of Bodmin, E. division of the hundred of Pyder and of the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Bodmin. 
Withiel (Cornish: Gwydhyel)St Clement is an Ancient parish in the county of Cornwall. The name Withiel is derived from the Cornish word Gwydhyel, meaning wooded place.
The parish church, dedicated to St Clement, is situated in the village of Withiel and dates back to the 13th century. It has recently had a new roof due to the fundraising efforts of the residents of Withiel and its surrounding area. The modern parish is part of the Roche and Withiel, United Benefice in the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Withiel, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Withiel, Cornwall Online Parish Records|
||1597-1740, 1788-1810, 1813-1919|| |
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 254
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish with a series of images of the church.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241272.
Poor Law Union
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Withiel in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 633-636. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 22 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,636 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page