Wolstanton, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Wolstanton, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wolstanton and Burslem PLU|
|Parish registers: 1628|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1662|
|Rural Deanery||Newcastle under Lyme|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
WOLSTANTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford. There are several dissenters' places of worship. 
Other places in the parish include: Branscliff, Wedgwood, Briershurst, Brieryhurst, Chatterley, Chatterly, Dales Green, Great Chell, Greenfield, Harrisea Head, Kidsgrove, Knutton, Little Chell, Oldcott, Ranscliff, Sandyford, Stadmoreslow, Stadmorslow, Thursfield, Wainlee, and Brerehurst.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Wolstanton St Margaret was an extensive Ancient Parish which formed subsequent ecclesiatical parishes
Wolstanton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|WOLSTANTON PARISH Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1628-1966 Mar 1628-1953 Bur 1628-1952 early registers include some BT's
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1662-1881 Mar 1662-1837 (missing marriages 1826-1827) Bur 1662-1881
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Wolstanton, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474622.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 643-649. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 05:02.
- This page has been accessed 2,489 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki