Wombourn, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Wombourn, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Seisdon PLU|
|Parish registers: 1570|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1655|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
WOMBOURN (St. Benedict), a parish, in the union, and S. division of the hundred, of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Wolverhampton. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Wombourn parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|WOMBOURN ST BENEDICT PARISH (1570) Online Records|
Deposited registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1570-1983 Mar 1570-1982 Bur 1570-1976 Bishop's transcripts at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1655-1852 Mar 1655-1848 Bur 1655-1842 Note bap/mar/bur missing 1813,1816, 1841-1842, 1853-1855
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Wombourn, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474629.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 649-652 Date accessed: 05 November 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 28 September 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 28 September 2014, at 12:02.
- This page has been accessed 987 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki