Woodbastwick, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Blofield PLU|
|Parish registers: 1560; Separate registers exist for Panxworth beginning 1847|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WOODBASTWICK (St. Fabian and St. Sebastian), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 8 miles (N. E. by E.) from Norwich. 
Woodbastwick Saint Fabian and Saint Sebastian is an Ancient Parish in the deanery of Blofield and Diocese of Norwich. Additional information and photos are available through Norfolk Churches website.
The parish churches of Ranworth with Panxworth, South Walsham, Upton and Woodbastwick dedication is available on their website.
The village name relates to bast, a pliable substance found under the bark of the lime tree. Danish and Saxon invaders used bast as a form of binding to tie leggings and other items. As a consequence, Woodbastwick's village sign shows two invaders tying their leggings.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Woodbastwick, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Woodbastwick, Norfolk Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 259
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438867.
1891 Census Surname Index courtesy of Geoff Lowe and the Norfolk Transcription Archives
Poor Law Unions
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 649-652. Date accessed: 12August 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 03:14.
- This page has been accessed 799 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki