Woodbury County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Woodbury County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
|County Seat||Sioux City|
|Address|| Woodbury County Courthouse|
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
Woodbury County Courthouse
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
Woodbury County was created when the legislature passed an act organizing the county in 1853. The County was named in honor of Levi Woodbury former Governor of New Hampshire, US Secretary of the Treasury and Supreme Court Justice.
1851--Woodbury County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was originally named Wahkaw, but changed to Woodbury 22 January 1853. It was organized 7 March 1853. County seat: Sioux City 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Woodbury County by Genweb Iowa
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Sioux City, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Skien Lutheran Church, Sloan
- Records of the Skien Lutheran Church, Sloan, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Sioux City, Iowa Directories, 1889-90, 1892-93 at Ancestry.com ($)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Woodbury County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Woodbury and Plymouth Counties, Iowa History at Ancestry.com ($)
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Woodbury - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
- Woodbury County, Iowa Obituary and Death Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. Obits and death notices from the Sioux City, Moville, Sloan, Correctionville, and Danbury areas.
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Sioux City Iowa Family History Center 1201 W Clifton Ave, Sioux City, IA 51104 United States Location Map
- Woodbury County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Woodbury County Information
- Woodbury County Migrations
- Woodbury County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:32.
- This page has been accessed 6,197 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki