Woodrising, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Wooddrising Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch PLU|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
WOODRISING (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Hingham. 
Woodrising St Nicholas is an Ancient parish in the Hingham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The church building is largely late fourteenth century, with nineteenth and twentieth century restorations. The table tomb in the church is probably that of the family that contributed towards the building of the church, thought to be the de Witchingham family. A feature of the interior is the number of carved heads on the supports of the roof and the corbels both inside and outside the building.
The church tower collapsed over 250 years ago and a bell now hangs in a thatched bell frame in the churchyard.
The earliest changes to the church appear to be the Tudor arches and decoration, and the Perpendicular windows. Later there were restorations in Victorian times, when the Rev. Arthur Roberts was rector; and in the years after the Second World War. These were brought about by Lord Verulam, who, in the tradition of earlier Lords of the Manor, set about restoring the prosperity of the village.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
Woodrising, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Woodrising, Norfolk Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1561-1678, 1695-1812||Undefined||1561-1678, 1695-1783, 1786-1836||Undefined||1561-1678, 1695-1812|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 365
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438864.
Poor Law Unions
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Woodrising on GenUKI
- Woodrising St Nicolas on A Church Near You
- Images of the church and collapsed tower on Geograph
- Barrel organ of the church
- Woodrising on Norfolk Churches
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 657-661. Date accessed: 12 August 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2014, at 16:16.
- This page has been accessed 1,029 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page