Wrenbury, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Wrenbury, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
WRENBURY, is a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, the Ellesmere canal, and the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, 5 miles SW of Nantwich; and has a post-office under Nantwich, a railway station, an inn. The township is called W.-with-Frith. There are four Methodist chapels.
Wrenbury, St. Margaret is an Ancient Parish, originally comprising the townships of Broomhall, Chorley (near Nantwich), Dodcott cum Wilkesley (part), Newhall (near Audlem) (part), Sound (part), Woodcott and Wrenbury cum Frith. St Margaret's Church, Wrenbury overlooks the village green of Wrenbury, Cheshire, England. Its benefice is combined with those of St Michael's, Baddiley, Cheshire and St Mary's and St Michael's, Burleydam, Cheshire
This was originally a chapel of ease to St Mary's Church, Acton, Cheshire. The present church dates from the early 16th century with alterations and additions in the 18th and 19th centuries; the nave and porch were restored in 1794, the chancel was rebuilt in 1806 and restored in 1865.
The village is listed in the Domesday Book as Wareneberie, and became Wrennebury in 1230. The name is said to mean "old forest inhabited by wrens". Wrenbury formed part of the extensive lands of William Malbank (also William Malbedeng), who owned much of the Nantwich hundred.
As a chapel attached to St Mary's Church, Acton, Wrenbury was included in the lands donated to the Cistercian Combermere Abbey in around 1180, shortly after the abbey's 1133 foundation by Hugh Malbank, second Baron of Nantwich. In 1539, after the Dissolution, the land was granted to George Cotton, and the Cotton family remained important local landowners for centuries.
Wrenbury is a village in the civil parish of Wrenbury cum Frith, the unitary authority of Cheshire East, and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It lies on the River Weaver, around 8.5 miles south-west of Crewe.
The civil parish of Wrenbury cum Frith covers the village of Wrenbury and the small settlements of Gaunton's Bank, Pinsley Green, Porter's Hill, Smeaton Wood, Wrenbury Heath and Wrenburywood.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241248. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Wrenbury St Margaret parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|FMP = FindMyPast|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|Wrenbury St Margaret Parish (1593) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1593-1882
|FS BT'S|| 1593-1881
Wrenbury, St. Margaret (Church of England) Registers of Baptisms 1593–1882, Marriages 1593–1965 and Burials 1593–1918 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office Parish registers for Wrenbury, Cheshire, 1593-1954 Cheshire Record Office call numbers: P172/1/1-4, P172/2/1-2, P172/P/WREN C, P172/3/1-3, P172/4592/7-9, 11-13, 15, P172/4, P172/5.
The Family History Library (FHL) has copies of the following records.
|Parish Register Content||FHL Film|
|Burials, 1593-1812. Marriages, 1593-1754. Baptisms, 1593-1882.|| 2106694|
Items 4 - 9
|Marriage index, 1751-1837. Marriages, 1754-1943. Marriage banns, 1754-1812, 1826-1949. Burials, 1813-1898.||2106821|
|Burials, Mar, 1897-1918|| 2106822|
|Marriages, 1943-1954|| 2262944|
Bishop's transcripts for Wrenbury, 1593-1881 Records are not arranged in strict chronological order. Some intermittent years are missing. Cheshire Record Office no.: EDB/231
|Bishop's transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1593, 1599-1601, 1605-1610, 1615, 1618, 1620-1641, 1658-1685, 1693-1695, 1697-1720, 1736-1777, 1780-1812. Baptisms, Jan. 1813.|| 1836384|
|Marriages,1813-1833, 1835-1837, 1840-1842. Baptisms & burials, 1813-1833, 1835-1837, 1840-1842, 1878-1881.|| 1836385|
Wrenbury Heath, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1848, closed in 1918. Deposited records at the Cheshire Record Office call number EMS 36 are for Wrenbury cum Frith, Wrenbury Heath Chapel, 1848-1922 The chapel was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1848, closed in 1918, and subsequently sold.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Nantwich (1837–1937)
- Crewe (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire Central (post 1998) The post 2009 reorganisation of civil registration can be found online at Cheshire BMD
Poor Law Unions
Banns, churchwarden accounts, overseer papers, 1702-1852 Microfilm copy of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England.
Cheshire Record Office no.: P172/4,9,15.
Item 8 Banns 1826-1852 Item 9 Churchwarden accounts 1712-1823 Item 10 Overseer papers 1702-1823 FHL BRITISH Film 1656761 Items 8-10
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.See also England Cheshire Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Wilson, John Marius, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date Accessed: 19 April 2013
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 15 October 2013.
- Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: B. T Batsford, pp. 369–372
- Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, p. 82, ISBN 1871731232
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2013, at 19:57.
- This page has been accessed 1,195 times.