Wyoming Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Before 1900 the largest religious groups in Wyoming were the Latter-day Saint, Methodist Episcopal, Protestant Episcopal, and Roman Catholic churches. The History of Wyoming, Vol 1, available online, has a detailed account of the establishment of each denomination beginning on page 476. While church services were held earlier, the building of churches began with the arrival of the railroad and influx of settlers in 1868.
Most records are kept with the local congregation, although some may have been transferred to other repositories, such as a church archives, a local genealogical or historical society, or a college library. For additional sources, understanding how to use valuable church records and guides for discovering which church your family may have belonged to, see United States Church Records.
For help locating Wyoming church records see:
- A Directory of Church and Religious Organizations in the State of Wyoming. Cheyenne, Wyoming: Historical Records Survey, 1939. FHL Collection book 978.7 K22h; film 908039 item 5
- Guide to Vital Statistics Records in Wyoming: Church Archives. Cheyenne, Wyoming: Historical Records Survey, 1942. FHL Collection 978.7 K23g
The Family History Library has a few original Wyoming church records. Many denominations have collected their records into central repositories. You can write to the following to learn where their records are located:
14 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108
Phone: (617) 523-0470
Fax: (617) 523-0470
Search Online Catalog
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Church records for Wyoming Wards and Branches can be found on film through the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City or by refering to Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols by Jaussi. FHL book 979.2258 A3j; or on fiche #6031507. These volumes contain the film numbers for many membership and temple record films.
Church History Library
15 East North Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84150
Phone: (801) 240-2745
Fax: (801) 240-2804
United Methodist Archives Center
Drew University Library
P.O. Box 127
Madison, NJ 07940
Phone: (201) 408-3189
Fax: (201) 408-3909
United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.
425 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
The Family History Library has microfilmed many of the records in the archives of the Presbyterian Historical Society. Others are described in:
- Inventory of the Church Archives of Wyoming Presbyterian Churches: 1968 Arrangement with Indexes. n.p.: Historical Records Survey, n.d. FHL Collection 906119
Diocese of Cheyenne
2121 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Phone: (307) 638-1530
Fax: (307) 637-7936
The diocese includes the counties of: Albany, Big Horn, Campbell, Carbon, Converse, Crook, Fremont, Goshen, Hot Springs, Johnson, Laramie, Lincoln, Natrona, Niobrara, Park, Platte, Sheridan, Sweetwater, Sublette, Teton, Uinta, Washakie and Weston.
- ↑ William Chamberlin Hunt and United States Bureau of the Census, Religious Bodies: 1906 (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1910), Vol. 1:322. Digital version at Google Books.
- ↑ Map of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in the United States of America, Office of Catholic Schools Diocese of Columbus, accessed 3 Nov 2010.
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2014, at 14:49.
- This page has been accessed 3,128 times.