Yazoo County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Yazoo County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Yazoo County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||21 January, 1823|
|County Seat||Yazoo City|
|Address|| Yazoo County Courthouse|
PO Box 68;
Yazoo City, MS 39194
Yazoo County Courthouse]
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Yazoo County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Yazoo County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Yazoo County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Yazoo County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Yazoo County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company K - Yazoo Minute Rifles
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company B - Herrod’s Battery, aka Vaughan Rebels
- Company I - Bowman’s Battery
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company I - John M. Sharps, aka Yazoo Rebels
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company I - Satartia Rifles [also listed as Co. G]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Yazoo County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1845-1917 - Yazoo County Marriage Books A-Z Index 1845-1917 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Yazoo County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Yazoo County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:21.
- This page has been accessed 6,329 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki