Yell County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Yell County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Yell County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 5, 1840|
|Address|| Yell County Courthouse|
PO Box 219;
Danville, AR 72833-0219
Yell County Courthouse
PO Box 219;
Danville, AR 72833-0219
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, land, and court records from 1865
- 1840--Yell County was created 5 December 1840 from Pope and Scott Counties. County seat: Danville 
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Family Biographies from The History of Yell County, Arkansas (1891) published by Southern Publishing Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Yell County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- Maps of Arkansas (1813-1925)
- Map of 1889 Yell County, Arkansas with numerous small settlements. (My Genealogy Hound)
Regiments. Service men in Yell County, Arkansas served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Yell County, Arkansas:
- - 1st Regiment, Arkansas Mounted Rifles (Confederate), Company H
- - 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), Company K
- - 11th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)
- - 19th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Dawson's) (Confederate)
- - 31st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - 38th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate),
- - 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union), Companies A, C, D, E, F, H, and S
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Yell County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Yell County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
- Probate Records 1865-1943 Part of: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Accounts 1876-1905; Administration and guardian dockets 1866-1890; Administration bonds and letters 1865-1913; Dockets 1866-1873; Guardian bonds 1876-1913; Probate records 1858-1888; Wills 1872-1943.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1831, 1841-1925 - Yell County Marriage Books A-J Index 1831, 1841-1925 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1841-1849, 1865-1959 - Yell County Marriage Books A-O Index 1841-1849, 1865-1959 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- Yell County Marriages
- Yell County, Arkansas Obituary Collection Free From GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the Dardanelle, Danville, Ola, Belleville, and Plainview areas.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Arkansas History Commission||AR state agency involved in organizing and maintaining state and local history of AR|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "arkansas" in the search box to see a list and links to Arkansas Blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "arkansas genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Arkansas Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Yell County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Yell County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 71.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, First Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 2. FHL book 976.7 M2a
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 8 July 2014, at 15:15.
- This page has been accessed 7,405 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki