Yellow Medicine County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||November 7, 1871|
|County Seat||Granite Falls|
|Address|| Yellow Medicine County Courthouse|
415 9th Avenue
Granite Falls, MN 56241-1367
Yellow Medicine County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, marriage and naturalization
records from 1872, death, divorce, probate and court
records. County Recorder has land records. 
- 1871--Yellow Medicine County was created 7 November 1871 from Redwood County. County seat: Granite Falls
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
St. Lucas Lutheran Church, Cottonwood
- Records of St. Lucas Lutheran Church, Cottonwood, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Porter
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Porter, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Yellow Medicine Lutheran Church, Hanley Falls
- Records of Yellow Medicine Lutheran Church, Hanley Falls, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Yellow Medicine – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Yellow Medicine County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Minnesota.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota page 370, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 13 August, 2012)
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:56.
- This page has been accessed 4,109 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page