Yellowstone County, MontanaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Yellowstone County Montana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Yellowstone County, Montana|
Location of Montana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1883|
|Address|| Yellowstone County Courthouse|
217 N 27th Street
PO Box 35001
Billings, MT 59107-5001
Yellowstone County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 26 February 1883 from Gallatin | Meagher | Custer | Carbon
- County Seat: Billings 
- Neighboring Counties: Big Horn | Carbon | Golden Valley | Musselshell | Rosebud | Stillwater | Treasure
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Montana denominations, view the Montana Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
The Parmly Billings Library has made the following available online:
- Early Billings City Directories: 1883, 1894, 1900-1901, 1903-1904
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Yellowstone County, Montana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Montana Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Montana Land and Property for additional information about early Montana land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Montana newspapers online including Billings newspapers that reported on residents of Yellowstone County. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- Parmly Billings Library: Vital Statistics from early Billings Gazettes Newspapers covering 1882-1902.
- Parmly Billings Library: Billings Gazette Indexes from 1930s and 1940s
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Yellowstone County, Montana newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Montana, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, inheritance records, probate packets, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Montana, Yellowstone - Probate records.
County Clerk Recorder has birth, death, land, and military records from 1883.
Clerk District Court has marriage, divorce, probate and court records.
Family History Centers
- Parmly Billings Library Genealogical Resources
Montana tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most birth and death original records can be purchased from the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. For information about marriages, divorces, and requirements for obtaining any vital records, see the CDC Where to Write website.
The following is courtesy of the Parmly Billings Library Genealogical Resources:
- Western States Marriage Index marriages from 1881-1903
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Montana State Historical Society
- Yellowstone County GenWeb
- Yellowstone County Genealogy Forum
- Yellowstone National Park History & Culture
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Montana, Yellowstone County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 417.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:25.
- This page has been accessed 4,578 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki