Yoakum County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Yoakum County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Yoakum County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
Yoakum County Courthouse
PO Box 309
Plains, TX 79355
County Clerk has birth records from 1878, marriage and
death records from 1908, pro rec from 1907, court records
from 1930 and land records from 1898; District Clerk has
1876--Yoakum County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Plains 
1926--Yoakum County Courthouse destroyed by fire in December 1926. All county records were stored in a vault and were saved. 
Places / Localities
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Denver City Memorial Park - transcription
- Pleasant Hill Cemetery - transcription
- Plains Cemetery - transcription
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The Family History Library Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Yoakum County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Yoakum County Memories
- Yoakum County Historical Markers
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Yoakum County 1902 from Historic Map Works
- Yoakum County General Highway Map 1940
- Yoakum County General Highway Map 1961
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Yoakum County WWII Casualties
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Yoakum County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas. Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
- Yoakum County Birth Records 1918 - 1925
- Yoakum County Death Records 1908-1940
- Yoakum County Marriage Records 1908 - 1930
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Yoakum County/Cecil Bickley Library
205 W 4th St
Denver City, TX 79323
Phone: (806) 592-2754
Yoakum County Library
910 Ave E
Plains, TX 79355
Phone: (806) 456-8725
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Yoakum County, Texas. Page 676 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ GenDisasters.com - Plains, TX Yoakum County Courthouse Fire, Dec 1926 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17527/plains-tx-yoakum-county-courthouse-fire-dec-1926
- This page was last modified on 25 April 2013, at 19:03.
- This page has been accessed 1,831 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More