ZimbabweEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Zimbabwe is located in southern Africa between South Africa and Zambia. The UK annexed Southern Rhodesia from the [British] South Africa Company in 1923. A 1961 constitution was formulated that favored whites in power. In 1965 the government unilaterally declared its independence, but the UK did not recognize the act and demanded more complete voting rights for the black African majority in the country (then called Rhodesia). UN sanctions and a guerrilla uprising finally led to free elections in 1979 and independence (as Zimbabwe) in 1980.
Getting started with Zimbabwe research
(Your text or images here.)
Jurisdictions in Zimbabwe
- All records collections for Zimbabwe available on FamilySearch.org.
- African Genealogy Databases
- adoptionregistry, adoptee and birth parent registry
- CousinConnect, message board on Zimbabwe- some activity
- Gedcomindex, website of gedcom files on the internet by country
- Genealogical Society of South Africa - cemetery records in Zimbabwe, various cemeteries, photos and transcriptions
- Kindred Trails - listing of on-line resources for Zimbabwe
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Zimbabwe
- Rootsweb, message board on Zimbabwe- some activity
- Umtali deaths, listing of deaths, some military and others.
- WorldGenWeb, good general Zimbabwe site
- Zimbabwe Jewish Community, cemetery images and transcriptions, marriage records
- Pioneers and Early Settlers
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
(Your text or images here, or use the table below:)
- This page was last modified on 5 November 2013, at 14:21.
- This page has been accessed 4,643 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More