141st Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 141st regiment was organized by Colonel Samuel G. Hathaway, Jr. at Elmira, Chemung County, and mustered in September 11, 1862.
The regiment marched to Washington, D. C., April 29-May 20,1865. The regiment mustered out June 8, 1865 and veterans and recruits were transferred to the 60th New York Infantry.  
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 141st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 17 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 141st Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 141st New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company C - principally recruited from Elmira, Chemung and Van Etten, all of Chemung County
Company D - principally recruited from Corning, Steuben County
Company E - principally recruited from Bath, Corning, Thurston, Erwin, Avoca, Campbell and Wheeler, all of Steuben County
Company H - principally recruited from Canisteo, Howard, Greenwood, West Union and Bath, all of Steuben County
Company I - principally recruited from Elmira, Chemung County
Company K - principally recruited from Elmira, Chemung County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- Van Wagoner, Charles, compiler. Record of the 141st N.Y. V. Infantry, Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1984 (original holograph made in 1895 in possession of James E. Andrus). FHL Collection FHL film 1035679 Item 7.
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 141st Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/141stInf/141stInfMain.htm (accessed 7 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki