165th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 165th regiment was organized at New York City November, 1862 under Lieutenant Colonel Abel Smith and Major Governeur Carr. They were known as Second Battalion Duryea's Zouaves and Smith's Zouaves.
They served their duty at Savannah, Georgia, and at Charleston, S. C., from July until September, 1865. They were mustered out there September 1, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 165th Regiment Infantry "2nd Duryea's Zouaves", (accessed 22 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 165th Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 165th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company C - principally recruited from New York City
Company D - principally recruited from New York City
Company E - principally recruited from New York City
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Hoey, George. The 165th New York Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083863
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. Album of the Second Battalion Duryee Zouaves, One Hundred and Sixty-Fifth Regt., New York Volunteer Infantry. Bethesda, Md.: University Publications of America,1992 ( originally published: [New York? ; s.n.], 1904). Google Books FHL Fiche 6083860 (3 fiche)and Internet Archive - free.
- United States. Army. History of the second battalion : Duryee : Zouaves : one hundred and sixty-fifth regt. New York Volunteer Infantry mustered in the United States service at Camp Washington, Staten Island, N.Y., November twenty-eighth, eighteen hundred and sixty-two. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988 (originally published: [New York?] : [s.n.], 1905). Google Books FHL Film 1549965 FHL fiche 6083861(4 fiche)
- United States. Army. Roster 165th Regiment, N. Y. Vols. 2d Duryee Zouaves, September, 1862-September, 1865. Bethesda, Md. : University Publications of America,1992 (original published: [New York? : s.n., 1903?]). FHL Fiche 6083862
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 165th Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/165thInf/165thInfMain.htm (accessed 29 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- ↑ Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY165.php (accessed 29 December 2010)
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More