2nd Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Also called 2nd (Bate's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Records filed as 2nd (Robison's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment.
Organized at Nashville, Tennessee, May 6, 1861; mustered into Confederate service at Lynchburg, Virginia, May 12, 1861; merged into 4th Consolidated Tennessee Infantry Regiment April, 1865; paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina May 1, 1865. 
The book "Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
This regiment was composed of the following companies:
- Company A - Captain Steve White, Murfreesboro, Rutherford County
- Company C - Captain Hamp. J. Cheney, Nashville, Davidson County
- Company D - Captain John Denniston, Bell Buckle, Bedford County
- Company E - Captain Casper W. Hunt, Memphis, Shelby County
- Company F - Captain Thomas White, Millersburg, Rutherford County
- Company G - Captain John Earthman, White's Creek, Davidson County
- Company H - Captain D. I. Goodall, Hartsville - men from Sumner County
- Company I - Captain William B. Bate - men from Gallatin, Sumner County
- Company K - Captain Humphrey R. Bate - men from Castalian Springs, Sumner County
The information about the counties comes from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
Second Tennessee Infantry
Organized at Nashville, May 5
Company A (Captains S. N. White, John A. Butler, Thomas g. Butler, and James T. C. McKnight)
Company F (Captains Thomas D. White, W. D. Robinson and William H. Newman)
The information above is from Goodspeed Histories, vol 8
Second Tennessee Confederate Regiment
Captain L. Charlton Company - many men from Sumner County
Captain Humphrey Bate Company - many men from Sumner County
Captain D. L. Goodall Company - many men from Sumner County
The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories, Vol 5.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- 2nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment (Bates), (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Brief history, roster of Company H, I and K; men from Sumner County.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. An outline of history of the 2nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment CSA led by Colonel William B. Bates begins on page 131.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 18 Nov 2011). 2nd (Bate's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment, PACS - includes organization and brief history.
- The Secoond Confederate (Tennessee) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 28 Dec 2011).
- Ferguson, Edwin L., Sumner County in the Civil War Chapter Two, 2nd (Bates) Tennessee Infantry Regiment Companies H, I and K, (accessed 26 Feb 2012).
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War, 2nd (Bate's) Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki