3rd Regiment, Illinois CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Illinois Cavalry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, and mustered in August 27, 1861. It mustered out October 18, 1865. 
For more information about this unit see:
- Wikipedia artlcle, 3rd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry (accessed 15 June 2012)
- Civil War Archives section,3rd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry (accessed 15 June 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Sangamon County - Sangamon County web site - Roster, vol. 7, pages 545-547.
- Company B - many men from Tazewell County - Tazewell County web site - Roster, vol. 7, pages 547-549.
- Company D - many men from Bond County (Also Known as Steele's Escort) - Bond County web site - Roster, vol, 7, pages 552-555.
- Company H - many men from Fulton & Schuyler counties - Fulton and Schuyler county web sites - Roster, vol. 7, pages 561-563.
- Company K - many men from Livingston County - Livingston County web site - Roster, vol. 7, pages 566-569.
- Company L - many men from Macoupin and Montgomery counties (Also Known as McClernand's Escort) - Macoupin and Montgomery county web sites - Roster, vol. 7, pages 569-571.
- Company M - many men from Christian and Shelby counties - Christian and Shelby county web sites - Roster, vol. 7, pages 571-574.
- Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 7, pages 574-575.
- 3rd Illinois Cavalry Regiment (accessed 2 September 2011) has company rosters and histories.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 3rd Regiment, Illinois Cavalry (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.