3rd Regiment, Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Tennessee Mounted Infantry was organized at Loudon, Strawberry Plains and Knoxville July to September, 1864. They mustered out November 30, 1864. 
This was a three months Regiment; and did no service -- never being fully organized. No rolls of the organization were furnished. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Mounted Infantry, (accessed 30 March 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A
- company B
- Company C - Most of the men were from North Carolina; Tennesseans from Blount and Monroe Counties.
- Company D - Men form Monroe County.
- Company E -
- company f
- Company G - Men from Monroe and Roane Counties.
- Company H 
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wright, General Marcus J., Tennessee in the War 1861-1865, (Ambrose Lee Publishing Company, Williamsbridge, New York City, 1908), Online book at Internet Archives. Roster of the volunteer force in the United States army from Tennessee. Roster of officers is given as it stood on the day of the muster out. Infantry - The Third Mounted Regiment begins on page 180.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 3 Jan 2012).
- Robert A. Barker, History of the Third Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 3 Jan 2012).
- Sandra Ratledge, 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment USA, (accessed 3 Jan 2012). Many links available, rosters included.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Federal Military Rosters, 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, (accessed 26 Feb 2012).
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War, 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 3 Jan 2012).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More