50th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 15th Virginia Infantry Regiment (Confederate) was involved in the following battles or localities: Big Bethel, Va.; Williamsburg, Va.; Seven Pines, Va.; Savage Station, Va.; White Oak Swamp, Va.; Malvern Hill, Va.; South Mountain, Md.; Sharpsburg, Md.; Fredericksburg, Va.; Suffolk, Va.; Bean's Station, Tenn.; Cold Harbor, Va.; Drewry's Bluff, Va.; Petersburg, Va.; Hatcher's Run, Va.; Five Forks, Va.; Sayler's Creek, Va.; Farmville, Va.; Appomattox, Va. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company B (no nickname) - many men from Lee County
Company C ( no nickname) - many men from Tazewell County
Company E ( Smyth Grays) - many men from Smyth County
Company F.( Pedlar Mills Guard) - many men from Amherst County
Company G (1st) ( Floyd Blues) - many men from Washington County
Company G (2nd) (no nickname) - many men from Lee County
Company H ( Wise Yankee Catchers) - many men from Wise County. Page 113, History of Patrick County, Virginia FHL book 975.5695 H2h Patrick County states "One of the largest groups of men from Patrick County served in Company H or K of the 50th Regiment of Volunteer Infantry."
Company K (Patrick Boys) - many men from Patrick County
Company L (no nickname) many men from Smyth County
The information above is from 50th Virginia Infantry, by John C. Chapla.
- Moore, J. Staunton. An Address Delivered by J. Staunton Moore at the 50th Reunion of the Fifteenth Virginia Regiment at Williamsburg, Virginia, May 24, 1911. Williamsburg, Va.: n.p., 1911. FHL Fiche 6082851.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in Virginia in the Civil War and United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Virginia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Virginia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia. New York, NY: Facts on File, 1992- 1995. (Family History Library book 975 M2ss, Ten Volumes.) This gives organization information for each unit and its field officers, assignments, and battles. It also lists sources further reading. Volume 5 is for Virginia.
- Wallace, Lee A. A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations, 1861-1865. Lynchburg, Virginia: H. E. Howard, 1986. (Family History Library book 975.5 M2vr, Volume 29.) This gives brief historical sketches of each regiment and lists officers, company names, and commanders.
- Bales, Hattie Byrd Muncy. Early Settlers of Lee County, Virginia and Adjacent Counties, V. 2. Greensboro, NC: Media, Inc., 1977. (Family History Library book 975.5735 D2L, Volume 2.)
- ↑ J. Staunton Moore, An Address Delivered by J. Staunton Moore at the 50th Reunion of the Fifteenth Virginia Regiment at Williamsburg, Virginia, May 24, 1911 (Williamsburg, Va.: n.p., 1911). FHL Fiche 6082851.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki