6th Regiment, New York CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 6th Regiment, New York Cavalry mustered in September through December 1861 and consolidated with 15th New York Cavalry June 17, 1865, to form 2nd Regiment Provisional Cavalry.  The 6th Regiment was also known as the Ira Harris Cavalry and the Second Ira Harris Guard.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Cavalry "2nd Ira Harris Guard", (accessed 27 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company B – Principally recruited in New York City.
Company L – Principally recruited in New York City.
Company M – Principally recruited in Columbia County.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Carter, William H. (William Harding). From Yorktown to Santiago with the Sixth U.S. Cavalry. (Austin, Texas : State House Press, c1989), FHL book 975.5 M2car
- Frederick Henry Dyer,A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Foster, Alonzo. Reminiscences and record of the 6th New York V. V. Cavalry. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992.) FHL Fiche 6083622
- Hall, Hillman Allyn. History of the Sixth New York Cavalry (Second Ira Harris Guard) Second Brigade, First Division, Cavalry Corps : Army of the Potomac, 1861-1865; compiled from letters, diaries, recollections and official records. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083621 and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1549963
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Heermance, W. L.Oration of Col. W. L. Heermance at dedication of monument, Sixth New York Cavalry at Gettysburg, Pa., July 11th, 1889. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992.) FHL Fiche 6083623
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center, 6th Cavalry Regiment, (accessed 3 July 2012).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More