8th Regiment, Maryland InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 8th Regiment, Maryland Infantry was organized at Baltimore, Md., August, 1862.
It mustered out May 31, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section,8th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 8th Maryland Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 9 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices and Staff - see Roster on page 307
- Company A - many men from Cecil County - see Roster on page 308 - 310
- Company B - many men from Baltimore City, Baltimore County - see Roster on page 310 - 312
- Company C - many men from Baltimore City, Baltimore County - see Roster on page 310 - 314
- Company D - many men from Baltimore City,- see Roster on page 315 - 317
- Company E - many men from Frederick County - see Roster on page 317 - 319
- Company F - many men from Baltimore City, Baltimore County - see Roster on page 319 - 321
- Company G - many men from Baltimore City, Baltimore County - see Roster on page 321 - 323
- Company H - many men come from Purnell Cavalry; counties not given - see Roster on page 323 - 324
- Company I - many men come from Purnell Cavalry; counties not given - see Roster on page 325 - 328
- Company K - cities and counties not given - see Roster on page 328 - 330
- Unassigned Enlisted Men - See Roster on page 330 - 334
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 8th Regiment, Maryland Infantry in L. Allison Wilmer, J. H. Jarrett, and Geo. W. F. Vernon. 1898. History and roster of Maryland volunteers, war of 1861-5. Baltimore: Press of Guggenheimer, Weil & Co. other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
- 8th Maryland Infantry Regiment time line
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maryland in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maryland in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maryland, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki