8th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 8th Regiment was formed in February, March, and April of 1776 at Suffolk County Courthouse. Companies recruited men from Frederick, Dunmore (Shenandoah), Berkeley, Augusta, Hampshire, Fincastle, and Culpeper Counties and West Augusta District. Field officers were Colonel Abraham Bowman, Lt. Colonel John Markham, Major Jonathan Clark, and Major Alexander Morgan.
- Company - Captain Jonathan Clark
- Company - Captain David Stephenson
- Company - Captain Thomas Berry
- Company - Captain Robert Higgins
- Company - Captain William Grogham
- Company - Captain John Steed
- Company - Captain Abraham Kirkpatrick
- Company - Captain Abel Westfall
- Company - Captain Isaac Israel
- Company - 1st Lieutenant John Graves
- The information above is from 8th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-8
A list of soldiers furnished by Augusta County for the 8th Virginia Regiment was published in 1886.
- Ensign John Key of Albemarle County
- ↑ "8th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va8.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- ↑ Captain Israel came from Albemarle County. See Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 368.
- ↑ Joseph A. Waddell, Annals of Augusta County, Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Wm. Ellis Jones, Book and Job Printer, 1886), 169.
- ↑ Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 368.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page