Abbas Combe, Somerset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
ABBAS-COMBE, or Temple-Combe (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Wincanton. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Abbas Combe, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ABBAS COMBE PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474598.
Poor Law Union
The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 placed the responsibility for the care of the poor in England and Wales, from 1834 onward, on Poor Law Unions. The Poor Law Unions and their workhouses took over this responsibility from the Church of England parishes. Prior to 1834 a few parishes or collections of parishes had established a few workhouses to help relieve the poor and provide indoor relief in the form of food, clothes and shelter.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
In 1692 the British government instituted another innovative scheme to increase revenue which came to be known as the land tax .
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed: 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 3 February 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', FindMyPast (WayBack Machine), accessed 29 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013. Described as Templecombe.
- ↑ England and Wales Poor Law
- ↑ E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.
- ↑ Land Tax Assessment Records
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News