Abingdon Parish, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Abingdon Parish serves Gloucester County, Virginia.
- abt 1653
The tombs in existence at Abingdon Church in 1894 are identified in:
- Tyler, Lyon G. "Inscriptions on Old Tombs in Gloucester Co., Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1894):219-229. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
A few hundred of the graves at the parish church cemetery are described at Find A Grave.
Abingdon Parish landowners and land usage from 1639 to 1659 are identified in:
- Thornton, James R. "The Hills, Gloucester County Home of the Immigrant William Thornton," The Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Feb. 2001):5-29. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Sinclair, Carolina Baytop. Abingdon Church: A Chronology of Its History, 1650-1970. Gloucester County, Virginia. White Marsh, Va.: Abingdon Episcopal Church, 1972. FHL Book 975.5 A1 no. 48
Abingdon and Ware Parish reports:
- Convention of 1827 (pp. 203-204)
- Convention of 1828 (p. 219)
- Convention of 1830 (p. 245)
- Convention of 1831 (p. 261)
- Convention of 1832 (p. 273)
- Convention of 1833 (p. 292)
- Convention of 1834 (p. 306)
The early registers have been abstracted:
- Lee, C.H. and Sallie Nelson Robbins. [Abingdon] Parish Register, 1678-1761. MSS. Library of Virginia. Copy: FHL Film 30159
- Robins, Robert W. The Register of Abingdon Parish, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1677-1780. Arlington, Va.: Honford House, 1981. Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 80-85448
The original Register for Abingdon and Ware parishes, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1830-1916 is kept at the Library of Virginia. Copies: FHL Film 30160. Contains births and christenings 1830-1924, confirmations 1838-1917, list of members, communicants 1850-1914, marriages 1831-1916, deaths 1830-1918, and a few tombstone inscriptions. Includes some entries for "coloured persons".
The earlier original register was destroyed in a fire in 1916, but fortunately, the information printed, mentioned above, had been abstracted before that time.
- Abingdon Church, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- ↑ Epitaphs of Gloucester and Mathews Counties in Tidewater Virginia through 1865 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1959).
- ↑ Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 200-215.
- ↑ Francis Lister Hawks, A Narrative of Events Connected with the Rise and Progress of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Virginia: To Which is Added an Appendix, Containing the Journals of the Conventions in Virginia from the Commencement to the Present Time (New York: Harper and Brothers, 1836). Digital version at Google Books.
- ↑ John Frederick Dorman, "Review of The Register of Abingdon Parish, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1677-1780," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 25, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1981):223. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 25 (1981)
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More