Appledore, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Appledore, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Appledore St Peter & St Paul Kent
|Poor Law Union||Tenterden PLU|
|Parish registers: 1700|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
APPLEDORE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Tenterden, partly in the liberties of Romney Marsh, but chiefly in the hundred of Blackbourne, lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Tenterden. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Appledore St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury and Ebony, Kent was formed as a chapelry from this parish. A map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The village and civil parish includes Appledore Heath and is part of the Ashford district of Kent.Appledore Kent Wikipedia
The church is mediaeval partly built in the 13th century and the remainder rebuilt following 1380 attack by the French. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building.British listed building
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Appledore, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Appledore, Kent Parish Online Records|
||1701-1901; 1754-1823 (Banns)||
Images for Appledore are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
Images for Appledore, Brookland and Ivychurch are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 62-66. Date accessed: 16 July 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish banns', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More