Appomattox County, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Appomattox County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 8, 1845|
P.O. Box 672
Appomattox, VA 24522-0672
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage divorce
& probate records from 1892
Court and Land Records
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Appomattox County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 4, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1960):79-80. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Appomattox County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Appomattox County:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Appomattox County - photos and transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Appomattox County, Virginia census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
More than a dozen genealogies have been published about Appomattox County families. To view a list, visit Appomattox County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Smith, Ethel Marion. "Clover Hill. Early History of an Old Appomattox Landmark," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 57, No. 3 (Jul., 1949), pp. 269-273. Digital version at JSTOR ($). [Includes information about the Patteson family.]
Grants and Patents
- Bannister et al. 482 patents dated 1739-1828 in what is now Appomattox County, Virginia placed on a map. DeedMapper, 2010. [Names of those who received land patents, dates, land descriptions, and references may be viewed free of charge (click "Index" next to the county listing); however, in order to view the maps, it is necessary to purchase Direct Line Software's DeedMapper product.]
- Featherston, Nathaniel Ragland. Appomattox County History and Genealogy. Baltimore, MD: Reprinted for Clearfield Co. by Genealogical Pub. Co., 1998. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5625 H2f. Digital version at World Vital Records ($). This book contains numerous genealogies for families of Appomattox County. For a list of surnames please see World Vital Records ($).
- Elliott, Katherine B. Emigration to Other States from Southside Virginia. 2 vols. South Hill, Virginia: K.B. Elliott, 1966. Vol. 1 of original edition available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 W2e v. 1; 1983 reprints (both volumes) available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 W2e 1983; 1990-1992 reprints (both volumes) also available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 W2e 1990-1992. [Includes individuals who migrated out of Appomattox County to other parts of the country.]
- Hopkins, Luther W. From Bull Run to Appomattox: A Boy's View. Baltimore: Press of Fleet-McGinley Co., 1914. FHL Collection 6082797 (2 copies); digital version at Ancestry ($).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Governnment Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Appomattox County, pp. 61-62.]
- Eckenrode, H.J. Virginia State Library: A Calendar of Legislative Petitions Arranged by Counties Accomac - Bedford. Richmond, Va.: Davis Bottom, Superintendent of Public Printing, 1908. Digital version at Google Books. [Appomattox County petitions (1846-1860) are described on pp. 132-135.]
-  Chilton, Harriett A. Appomattox County, Virginia Tax Lists, 1845 Only Extant Record for the First Year the County was Established, Includes Land Tax Rolls, Personal Property Tax Rolls. Falls Church, Va.: H.A. Chilton?, 1975. FHL 975.5625 R4c
Indexes to Appomattox County, Virginia births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Appomattox Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- ↑ Wikipedia Contributors, "Appomattox County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appomattox_County,_Virginia, accessed 13 January 2012.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Burned Record Counties (VA-NOTES). (n.d.). Library of Virginia. Retrieved October 1, 2009, from http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/va22_burnedco.htm.
- ↑ USGS Map, Topozone.com
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki