Arkansas County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a county in eastern Arkansas. For other uses, see Arkansas (disambiguation).
Guide to Arkansas County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Arkansas County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 31, 1813|
|Address|| Arkansas County Courthouse|
101 Court Square
DeWitt, AR 72042
Arkansas County Courthouse
101 Court Square
DeWitt, AR 72042
County Clerk has probate records from 1809
and marriage records from 1838; Clerk Circuit
Court has land records, divorce and court records
from 1803 and military discharge records from 1917.
1813--Arkansas County was created 31 December 1813. County seat: DeWitt.  Its existence predates the state of Akansas which was admitted to the union in 1836. Arkansas County was created from New Madrid County, Missouri Territory. Arkansas County was part of the Missouri Territory from 1813 to 1819 and part of the Arkansas Territory from 1819 to 1836.
See an interactive map of Arkansas County border changes at N2Genealogy.
1810 and 1820 are missing.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Local histories are available for Arkansas County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Arkansas County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Arkansas County.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battles were fought in Arkansas County:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Arkansas County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Arkansas County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
Arkansas Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites. Includes newspapers for Arkansas County.
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1797-1921 - Arkansas County Marriage Books B-S Index 1797-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1882-1947 - Arkansas County Marriage Books F-Z, A1-B1 Index 1882-1947 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 66.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August, 2012)
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 26 April 2012).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5c/Igiarkansasad.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki