Barbour County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a northern county of West Virginia. For other uses, see Barbour.
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Barbour County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
8 N Main Street
Philippi, WV 26416
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death since 1853
- Probate Record and land records from 1845
- Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
See an interactive map of Barbour County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Town of Belington
Town of Junior
City of Philippi
List of Barbour County West Virginia Cemeteries
Readings from Barbour County Cemetery Records
For tips on accessing Barbour County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
1850 Barbour County, West Virginia Census
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
- [Coberly] Harter, Mary. "James Cunningham of Western Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):9-16; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):109-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
Regiments. Service men in Barbour County, West Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Barbour County, West Virginia:
- - 20th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company D..
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company H (Barbour Greys) and Company K (Potomac Guards or Mountain Guards).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Barbour County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in West Virginia.
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- Eckenrode, H.J. Virginia State Library: A Calendar of Legislative Petitions Arranged by Counties Accomac - Bedford. Richmond, Va.: Davis Bottom, Superintendent of Public Printing, 1908. Digital version at Google Books. [Barbour County petitions (1843-1858) are described on pp. 186-194.]
Barbour County, West Virginia Will Books 1846-1960
West Virginia Will Books
Barbour County Wills a Collection
West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages
West Virginia Marriages 1853-1970; free searchable index available at FamilySearch. Records include such information as bride and groom's names, birth date and birthplace, marriage place, clerk's name and sometimes the name of the father, and film and record numbers. Individual names and collections can be searched at FamilySearch.
Barbour county, West Virginia Marriage Records
Barbour County, West Virginia Death Records
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library catalog
- Barbour County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- http://www.cyndislist.com/us/wv Cyndi's List
- Barbour County Family Album
- More Barbour County Resources
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- ↑ John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 20 September 2012)
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More