Barwick in Elmett, YorkshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
BARWICK-IN-ELMETT (All Saints), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, West Riding, Yorkshire, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Leeds; The parish includes: Stinks, Winmoor, Barwick Barnbow, Barnhow, Barrowby, Crosgates, Scholes, Kiddal-with-Potterton, Morwick-with-Scholes and Hiddle; The living is a rectory; There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from chapelry registers of Barwick in Elmett exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|AO = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JMI = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BARWICK IN ELMETT PARISH (1600) Online Records|
|FMP (£)|| 1600-1812
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1653.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
a. Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464268. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More