Bedford County, Tennessee GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Bedford County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than 65 books or articles have been published about Bedford County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested.
- Main article: Bedford County, Tennessee
- Poplin, Dick. Bedford County, Tennessee Family History Book. Paducah, Ky.: Turner Pub. Co., 2002. FHL Collection 976.8583 D2b; publisher's description. Purchase through Bedford County Historical Society, P.O. Box 141, Shelbyville, TN 37162.
- [Brown] Descendant of Alexander F. Brown, b. 1807 Virginia, resident of Bedford County, Tennessee 1830s, d. aft 1840 of Calloway County, Kentucky. Y-DNA 12 Marker Test, FTDNA (Kit 142768). Genetic signature available online (labeled Group No. 52), genealogical description available online, courtesy: Brown/Browne/Braun DNA Study. Matches have been found.
- [Brown] Descendant of Nathaniel G. Brown, b. 1801 Tennessee, resident of Bedford County, Tennessee 1830s, d. Henry County, Missouri. Y-DNA 25 Marker Tests, FTDNA (Kits 76991, 77609). Genetic signatures available online (labeled Group No. 73), genealogical description available online, courtesy: Brown/Browne/Braun DNA Study. See also Burnett List.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Allen] Allen, William A. History of George Hunt & Mary Ogilvie Allen and their descendants: and related families Ogilvie, Ewing, and Fonville : prepared for the Allen Family Reunion, August 8-11, 1985, Caney Spring, Marshall County, Tennessee. Brentwood, Tennessee: W.A. Allen, 1985. FHL 929.273 AL53aw
- [Allred] Griffin, Dawnell H. Isaac Allred 1813-1859 : son of James and Elizabeth Warren Allred. S.l: D.H. Griffin, 2008. FHL 929.273 AL57gje v. 5
- [Allred] Isaac Allred, My Great Frandfather (Grandfather). Manuscript. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976. FHL 928066 Item 26
- [Baker] Hooten, Una Good. A Family History. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983. FHL 1318059 Item 7
- [Battle] Cloer, Carol W. The Thread of Life: from Mother to daughter : Twelve Generations of Women. S.l: Ab Initio Books, 2001. FHL 929.273 W21cc
- [Bennett] Bennett, Patricia C. William Hunter Bennett family Genealogical Records, ca.1570-1985. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990. FHL 1697303
- [Bigham] Bigham, Esther W. Family tree of John Bigham. S.p.: 198? FHL 929.273 B484be
- [Blackman] Lowther, Luella. Blackman from Tennessee to Texas to Arkansas to Everyplace. Visalia, California: L. Lowther, 1992. FHL 929.273 B565LL
- [Bruce] Bruce, Thomas Allen. The Bruce Web: a genealogical study of Bruce and related families descending from James Bruce of Virginia, born 1768. Little Rock, Arkansas: T.A. Bruce, 1984. FHL 929.273 B83bt
- [Burdett] Smith, Macon A., William Burdett, William Cavin. The Cavin Family. Manuscript. FHL 929.273 C316s
- [Burrow] Burrow, Phillip. Phillip Burrow (1) (1774-1861)--and Descendants . Mnauscript. FHL 929.273 B946bp
- [Cates] Leard, Greta C. and Sitaska R. Merrit. The Cates chain: the Hiram Cates family: from Tennessee to Texas & around the world, 1814-1988. Tyler, Texas: G.C. Leard, 1988. FHL 929.273 C283L
- [Cawfield] Farris, Vera L. and Eloise W. Cawfield. History of Cawfield [i.e. Cawlfield], Smith, Biddle and Related Families. California: V.S.B. Farris, 1973. FHL 929.273 C257f
- [Chappell] Chappell, Anne Lorean Young and Florence Guttery.Chappells and Stanleys of Bedford County, TN; Jasper County, GA; Fayette and Tuscaloosa Counties, AL; and Hill and Johnston Counties, TX: Information By and About These and Allied Families and Neighbors Acquired from Various Public and Private Sources Including Personal Family Letters and a Transcript of the Voluminous Estate Records of Miles Chappell, 1790-1887. Memphis, Texas: A.L.Y. Chappell, 1997. FHL 929.273 C368cs
- [Cook] Cook, Jerry Wayne. The Cook Family in America: A Family History of Thomas and Milly (Marcum) Cook and Their Descendants of Bedford County, Tennessee (c. 1770-1973). Normandy, Tenn.: Cook, 1973. FHL 929.273 C773c. Free lookups available!
- [Dalby] Zinzilieta, Mary E. and Jonel S. Harmon. A Harmon Collection. Mt. Vernon, Illinois: M.E.D. Zinzilieta, 1993. FHL 929.273 H228z
- [Daugherty] Farley, Hilde S., Evelyn Conrad, Wadell Harrison. The Harrisons from Houston County Texas, 1835-1993 : William D. Harrison and Jane Patton Harrison and their Allied Families. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 1994. FHL 929.273 H248f
- [Davis] Davis, George H. Genealogy of Thomas Davis 1782-1846 and his Descendants. Scarborough, New York: Scarborough Press, 1949. FHL 929.273 D29dav
- [Dickson] Smith, Austin Wheeler.The Dickson-McEwen and Allied Families Genealogy. Cookeville, TN: Unknown, 1945.FHL 929.273 D561sDigital version available at ($). Heritage Quest Online FHL 929.273 D561s
- [Dickson] Lemke, W.J. The Journal of Joseph Lawrence Dickson. Fayetteville, Arkansas Washington County Historical Society (AR), 1956. FHL 929.273 D561dj
- [Eakin] Burdette, Benjamin L.The Eakin Family: Excerpts from Memoirs of Family Members Who Came from Ireland to Shelbyville, Bedford County, Tennessee, in the Year 1822: Records from the Deed Books of Bedford County, Tennessee and Inscriptions from Grave Stones in the Eakin--Cowan Section of the Old Shelbyville Cemetery in Shelbyville, Bedford County, Tennessee. Typescript, donated in 1960. FHL 896607 Item 1.
- [Elliot] Elliot, Zola, F. Our Family: the Elliott-Dowdle Lines, 1827-1989. Austin, Texas: Z.F. Elliott, 1989. FHL 929.273 EL58ez
- [Elkins] One page summary of Rev. Asa Elkins and family. FamilySearch Books Online=/FH2&CISOPTR=92231&REC=1 BYU Family History Archive]
- [Ferguson] Ferguson, Herman W.Descendants of James and Elizabeth Fleming Ferguson: Bedford County (Now Marshall), Tennessee. Rocky Mount, N.C.: H. Ferguson, 1988. FHL 929.273 F381fhw
- [Ferguson] Ferguson, John F., James M. Ferguson, Joseph F. Ferguson. The Ferguson Papers. Nashville, Tennessee: Tennessee State Library and Archives, 196-. FHL 570827 Item 1
- [Ferrell] Ferrell, Ed.Ferrell Family Records, ca. 1789-1930. Juneau, Alaska: E. Ferrell, 1991. FHL 929.273 F413fee
- [Ferrell] Farrall, Andrew J. and Eugene H. Farrall. The Ferrells of Mddle Tennessee : a Ferrell Fmily Hstory. Knoxville, Tennessee: Tennessee Valley Pub., 2003. FHL 929.273 F413fa
- [Frost] Frost, Wright Wilson.The Frosts and Related Families of Bedford County, Tennessee. Knoxville, TN: W.W. Frost, 1962. FHL 929.273 F929f digital versions at Heritage Quest Online($) and World Vital Records($).
- [Frost] Frost, Wright Wilson.A Supplement to the Frosts and Related Families from Bedford County, Tennessee. Knoxville, Tenn.: W.W. Frost, 1962, 1972. FHL 929.273 F929f supp
- [Gray] Greenlee, Martha Sansom.Capt. William Gray, 1754-1841, and Some Descendants: Pension, Court, Cemetery, Census, and Old Newspaper Records from Washington, D.C.; Bedford County, Tennessee; Christian County, Kentucky; Gibson County, Indiana; Vanderburgh County, Indiana. Typescript, Willard Library, Evansville, Ind. FHL 1481371 Item 10.
- [Green ] Miller, Janett R. Green genes : roots of the Green family tree : the allied families of James Jason Edley Green and his wife, Mary Elizabeth Throgmorton; Green, Stammers, Winsett/Wimsatt, Jones, Ford, Glenn, Owen, Brayerly, Throgmorton, Thomas, Drake, Truit. Lee's Summit, Missouri: J.R. Miller, 1999. FHL 929.273 G823m
- [Hanna] Hooten, Una Good. A Family History.Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983. FHL 1318059 Item 7.
- [Harrison] Farley, Hilde S., Evelyn Conrad, Wadell Harrison. The Harrisons from Houston County Texas, 1835-1993 : William D. Harrison and Jane Patton Harrison and their Allied Families. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 1994. FHL 929.273 H248f
- [Hastings} Wilkinson, Virginia. Giles Porter Hastings: His Forebears, his Descendants. Murfreesboro, Tennessee: s.n., 1980. FHL 929.273 H279wv
- [Hix] Sullivan, Elsie S. Hix-Collins-Word & related families. Rossville, Georgia : E.S. Sullivan, 1990. FHL 929.273 H642s
- [Howell] Dennis, Johnnie I. York's of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi and North Alabama. Columbus, Georgia: J.I. Dennis, 1988? FHL 929.273 Y82d
- [Ivie] Evans, Len. The Ivie family of Utah, an American Migration, 1800-1900 : chapter 2, the Missouri interlude, 1829-1846. Ventura, California: L. Evans, 1998. FHL 929.273 Iv5e
- [Jernigan] Jernigan, Verna T. Leaves of the Jernigan Tree. Manchester, Tennessee: Jernigan, 1969. FHL 929.273 J482j
- [Jones] York, Courtney and Gerlene York. Jones, Watson, Hale and others: South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas. San Jose, California: York Geneal. Research, 1969. FHL 929.273 J71y
- [Jones] Jones, Gilford M. From Cold Water to Hot Water. Hot Springs, Arkansas: G.M. Jones, 1989. FHL 929.273 J713jg
- [Jones] Jones, Gilford M. From Cold Water to Hot Water with the Jones'. Hot Springs, Arkansas: G.M. Jones, 1997. FHL 929.273 J713jg 1997
- [Keller] Keller, Julius H. The Jacob Keller family history. FHL 929.273 K283kj
- [Ledbetter] Ledbetter, Judith L. and Bonnie L. Hamner. James Baty Ledbetter, 1829-1909, and Descendents. Clinton, Arkansas: Judith Linn Ledbetter, 1999? FHL 929.273 L498jL.
- [Long] Buchanan, Paul C. and Susie M. Owens. "Henry Long and Some Descendants of Colonial Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):115-126; Vol. 38, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1994):190-200; Vol. 38, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1994):263-273; Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):27-31. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994)-v. 39 (1995).
- [McAlister] Madeira, Pauline and Kim Beauchamp. The Ancestors of Harvey Louis Hardin : with Chapters on the Descendants of Samuel Sanford Hardin, James Pate, David McAlister, William Waddell, Samuel P. Griggs and John Selby. S.l.: Rex H. Madeira, Jr., 1999. FHL 929.273 Se48mp
- [McEwen] See Dickson.
- [McKisick} Ravenscroft, Ruth R. Family of Amy Myrtilla (Longcope) Hopkins and Descent of Colonel George Reade of Virginia from Sixteen Magna Charta Barons. Manuscript. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. FHL 873451 Item 8
- [McMurty] LeBaron, Esther M. William McMurtry of Kentucky and Alabama, and his Descendants. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1972. FHL 1451813
- [Norman] Hemphill, Patricia M. Normans of Tennessee and Missouri: their Descendants and Ancestors 1776-1995 : (including Blair, Coffey, Grammer and Leeper.) Decorah, Iowa :Anundsen, 1995. FHL 929.273 N781h
- [Norvell] Norvell, Grace.James Norvell of Colonial Goochland County, Virginia; the Virginia Collection; James Norvell of Bedford County, Tennessee. Austin, Texas: Grace Norvell, 1988.FHL&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;FAM&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;HIST&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Book 929.273 N829n
- [Norvell] Norvell, Grace.James Norvell of Colonial Goochland County, Virginia: Line of Capt. Hugh Norvell of Williamsburg with Some Indications of His Tidewater Ancestry; Hugh Norvell of Mecklenburg County, Virginia and James Norvell of Granville County, North Carolina; James Norvell of Bedford County, Tennessee. N. p.: G. Norvell, 1996. FHL 929.273 N829ng
- [Ogden] Willingham, Chester M. William Riley Ogden, His Descendants and some Allied Families. Lakewood, Colorado: s.n., 1973. FHL 929.273 Og2wc
- [Patton] Hooten, Una Good.A Family History. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983. FHL 1318059 Item 7
- [Potts] Potts, J. Ivan. The Potts Family Descendants of Oswald Potts in Bedford County, Tennessee. 1983.
- [Reaves] Craft, Roy and Alice Craft. Reaves, Reeves, Reavis, Rives: a One Name Study by the Descendants of William and Margaret Reeves. West Haven, Utah: R. Craft, 2002. FHL 929.273 R259cr
- [Robberson] Robberson, Richard W. Descendants of Abednego Robberson and Elizabeth Jane Pettigrew Robberson : with allied families Croak, Franssens, McClure, and Pettigrew. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma : V.R.W. Lerdall, 1991. FHL 929.273 R533r
- [Roberts] Turbett, James A. The Roberts--Smith Book: The Roberts and Smith Families of Upcountry South Carolina; Bedford County, Tennessee; Coffee County, Tennessee; Hamilton County, Tennessee; and Boone County, Arkansas. Alexandria, Va.: J.A. Turbett, 1994?. FHL 929.273 R541t
- [Russell] Hill, Mary Ruby W. Russell and kindred families. Traverse City, Michigan: C.J. Russell, 1991. FHL 929.273 R911h
- [Sims] Morris, Jane Sims Davison.The Duke-Symes Family. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dorrance & Co., 1940. FHL 929.273 D885m
- [Shelton] Shelton, Cecil and Louise Shelton. Descendants of Jesse Shelton: and some related families, Drake, Foster, Gibson, Hamby, Keele, Martin. Hanford, California: C. & L. Shelton, 1977. FHL 929.273 Sh44d
- [Shriver] Bond, Anne Blair.The Shrivers of Bedford County, Tennessee. 1994.
- [Sugg] Piant, S. The family of John (1807) and Mary Boaz Sugg (b.1812 or 1814). 1970. FHL 874359 Item 5
- [Sutton] Motes, Patricia H. Some Descendants of Hiram Sutton. Lawrence County, Tennessee: Words by Motes, 2000. FHL 929.273 Su87mp
- [Thompson] Schack, Elizabeth Thompson and Mary Thompson-Lewis LeBrecht. John Theophilus Thompson (1750s-1826): Some Ancestors and Descendants in Frederick County, Maryland; Orange County, North Carolina; Bedford County, Tennessee. New York, N.Y.: E.T. Schack & M.T.-L. LeBrecht, 1997. FHL 929.273 T374s
- [Tillman] Tillman, Lewis. Family Biography of Lewis Tillman, 2nd. S.l.: Lewis Tillman, 3d, 1931. FHL 929.273 T466tL
- [Vannoy] Broken Arrow Chapter, D.A.R., Pell City, Ala. Vannoy Genealogy. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. FHL 875412 Item 8
- [Weger] Klinger, Margaret A.Ancestors and descendants of Thomas M. Weger, 1752-2006. Albany, Oregon: M.A. Klingler, 2006. FHL 929.273 W421k
- [Williams] Williams: Family Bible Records, 1793-1920, Together with Transcripts. MSS. Microfilmed 1984. FHL Collection 1206451 Item 6
- [Wilson] Overton, Kathleen S. Our Wilson Ancestors. Mesa, Arizona: K.S. Overton, 2007. FHL 929.273 W691ok
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page