Benton County, Mississippi
From FamilySearch Wiki
("Added county history intro".)
|Line 78:||Line 78:|
==== Local Histories
==== Local Histories ====
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
Revision as of 01:44, 14 June 2013
Guide to Benton County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
For tips on accessing Benton County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Benton County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Benton County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Benton County, Mississippi Clerk of Court and are housed at the Benton County, Mississippi Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1870-1881 - Benton County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1870-1881. Batch M516741 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1898 - Benton County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1881-1898. Batches M516742 and M516743 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898-1909 - Benton County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1898-1909. Batch M735003 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1909-1922 - Benton County Marriage Book 7 Index 1909-1922. Batch M734866 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1909-1917 - Benton County Marriage Book 8 Index 1909-1917. Batch M734839 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Benton County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More