Bergen County, New Jersey GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Bergen County, New Jersey genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Bergen County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|Address|| Bergen County Courthouse|
1 Bergen County Plaza
Hackensack, NJ 07601
- 1675, formed as original county of East Jersey.
- Formally created 1 March 1683. 
- 1710, New Barbadoes twp. added from Essex County
- 1807, coastal boundary fixed.
- 7 March 1837, Passaic County was set off. 
- 22 February 1840, Hudson County was set off. 
- 1852, part of Harrison twp. added as Union twp.
- 1892, coastal boundary clarified.
Places / Localities
- Saint Andrews Cemetery, River Vale BillionGraves
- Riverside Cemetery: A Jewish Cemetery located in Saddle Brook, New Jersey
- Mount Moriah Cemetery: located in Fairview, NJ
- 1666-1788 - "The Bergen Church Records (Dutch Reformed)," Year Book of the Holland Society of New York. Baptisms 1666-1782: (1903); Marriages (1904); Burials 1666-1788 (1905). 1903 and 1905 volumes are available online. For access, see WeRelate.
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
- Clerk of the Superior Court
- Records Information Center
- P.O. Box 967
- Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
- Telephone: 609-292-4978
- Fax: 609-777-0094
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Emerson New Jersey Family History Center
- Fardale New Jersey Family History Center
- The Bergen County NJGenWeb Project, a member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Bergen County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Bergen County. (Backup site)
- Bergen County Genealogical Society
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bergen County, New Jersey page 464, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More