Branch County, MichiganEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Branch County Courthouse
31 Division St.
Coldwater, MI 49036
Phone: (517) 279-4300
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1833, divorce records,
court records from 1848 and naturalization records from 1847.
Probate Court has probate record.
Register of Deeds has land records.
City & Town Clerks have burial records. 
Branch County is near the middle of the state near the border of Indiana and Illinois, and largely borders Indiana. The county includes the communities of Coldwater, Kinderhook, and numerous other small towns.
- Oak Grove Cemetery, Coldwater
- Sherwood Cemetery, Sherwood
- Lawrence Cemetery, Kinderhook
- West Prairie Cemetery, Union City
Civil War service men from Branch County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Branch County.
- - 17th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Companies C and H
- Birth Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Marriage Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Death Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Branch County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Branch County, Michigan page 344, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page