- 701 Goode Street
- Bristol, VA 24201-4199
Hours: Mon-Thurs 9am - 8pm; Fri and Sat 9am - 5pm; Sun 2pm - 5pm.
Map, directions, and public transportation:
Internet sites and databases:
- Bristol Public Library Avoca Branch Library, children, teens, learning lab, library foundation, resources, about us, and special events.
- Catalog online of four libraries including Bristol Public: search by keyword, author, title, subject, call number, and ISBN.
They have a relatively small family folder collection. Nevertheless, it is an important resource for settlers coming from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and northern Virginia along the Great Valley Road into Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina. Their collections includes a file for local cemeteries, and local history file, regional history books, county courthouse records, family histories, Civil War records, censuses and census indexes. Emphasis is primarily on Tennessee and Virgina, and to a lesser degree on Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. The library is less than its own length away from the Tennessee-Virginia state line, so their collection reflects both states well.
- Genealogy/Local History HeritageQuestOnline access, musical heritage, local genealogy organizations, genealogy research information, military resources, and American Indian genealogy.
- Genealogy tips for beginners (pdf) how to begin, and local Virginia and Tennessee resources.
If you cannot visit or find a source at the Bristol Public Library, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- National Archives I, Washington DC, census, pre-WWI military service & pensions, passenger lists, naturalizations, passports, federal bounty land, homesteads, bankruptcy, ethnic sources, prisons, and federal employees.
- Library of Congress, Washington, DC, is the world's largest library including 50,000 genealogies, 100,000 local histories, manuscripts, microfilms, maps, newspapers, photographs, books, strong in North American, British Isles, and German sources. The Local History and Genealogy Reading Room has moved to the Main Reading Room, but services remiain unchanged.
- National Archives at _____
- State Archives
- State Library
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, 450 computers, 3,400 databases, 3.1 million microforms, 4,500 periodicals, 310,000 books of worldwide family and local histories, civil, church, immigration, ethnic, military, Mormon records.
- County Vital Records Office
- City Vital Records Office
- County Archives
- County Orphan's Court
- County Probate Court
- County Recorder
- County Coroner
- U.S. District Court
- County and local historical societies
- County and local genealogical societies
- Public Libraries
- Museums and heritage societies
- Repositories in surrounding counties: [Chattam], [Durham], and [Franklin]
- State Vital Records Office
- State Historical Society
- State Genealogical Society
- University Libraries
- Church archives
- Repositories in other surrounding states (or provinces): [SC], [TN], and [VA]