British Columbia, Victoria Times Birth, Marriage and Death Notices (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: British Columbia, Victoria Times Birth, Marriage, and Death notices 1901-1939 .
This collection will include records from 1901 to 1939.
The records will include newspaper clippings from the Victoria Daily Times newspaper that have been pasted onto cards and arranged chronologically. The Victoria Times newspaper has also been named the Victoria Daily Times and the Victoria Weekly Times.
For a list of records by dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "British Columbia, Victoria Times Birth, Marriage and Death notices, 1901-1939" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Victoria Times newspaper. Victoria City Archives.
These birth records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of birth
- Gender of child
- Name of father
- Name of mother
- Residence of parents
These marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Names of bride and groom
- Date and place of marriage
- Rank or profession
- Names of parents (father’s name only in most pre-confederation records)
- Names of witnesses and their residences
- Religious denominations of bride and groom
- Name of person performing the marriage
- Ages of bride and groom
These death records usually contain the following information:
- Name, age, gender, and residence of the deceased
- Date and place of death
- Profession (if known)
- Registration district name or number
- Marital status and parents’ names are included in later registrations
- Date of birth
- Cause of death
- Name of physician
- Name and residence of informant
- Religious affiliation
How to Use the Record
To search this collection, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page:
⇒ Select the appropriate "Year or Year Range" which will take you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The notices in this collection are organized by the date of the event.
- There will be duplicates of each notice image.
Using the Information
- Use the age found on the record to calculate the year of birth from the year of the event. Use the birth year that you found to search in the British Columbia Birth Registrations, 1854-1903 collection or the Canada, Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959 collection.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor
- Try searching for their nicknames or alternative names
- Search the censuses for the residence of your ancestor
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- British Columbia Vital Certificates
- British Columbia Vital Records Information
- BC Archives
- British Columbia City Directories
Related Wiki Articles
- British Columbia
- British Columbia Archives and Libraries
- British Columbia Birth Registrations (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- British Columbia Death Registrations (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- British Columbia Vital Records
- Canada Vital Records
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
"British Columbia, Victoria Times Birth, Marriage and Death Notices, 1901-1939," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 22 May 2012), Image 10 of 3471, Mrs. Margaret Loeffler, died 02 January 1939; citing Victoria Times. Newspaper clippings of births, marriages and deaths. City of Victoria Archives, British Columbia, Canada.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News