Butts County, Georgia
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Added Newspaper repositories template)
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 18:56, 10 May 2013
Guide to Butts County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Butts County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 24, 1825|
|Address|| Butts County Courthouse|
25 Third Street
PO Box 320
Jackson, GA 30233-0320
Butts County Website
Butts County Georgia Courthouse
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1825
Butts County Georgia History
Butts County Georgia Places/Localities
Butts County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 1886-1924 - England's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church Baptism Index 1886-1924. Batch C712271 at FamilySearch - free.
Jackson Methodist Church
- 1846-1885 - Jackson Methodist Church Baptism Index 1846-1885. Batch C712301 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1846-1895 - Jackson Methodist Church Marriage Index 1846-1895. Batch M712301 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Butts County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Butts County Wills 1821-1841 (digital images and abstracts) . See lists of testators. Georgia Pioneers
Butts County Wills and Estates 1845-1855 (digital images). See list of testators. Georgia Pioneers
Butts County Wills and Estates 1849-1857 (digital images). See list of testators. Georgia Pioneers
Index to Will Book A 1850-1896 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Index to Will Book B 1897-1948 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Index to Wills, Appraisements, Sales, Annual Returns, 1826-1841; 1836-1845;
1845-1851;1849-1857 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Index to Annual Returns and Vouchers 1852-1855; 1864-1888;
1889-1901; 1896-1901 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1826-1886 - Butts County Marriage Index 1826-1886. Batch M712281 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1827-1870 - Butts County Marriages 1827-1870 Georgia Pioneers
- 1876-1896 - Butts County Marriage Index 1876-1896 Georgia Pioneers
- 1882-1895 - Butts County Marriage Index 1882-1895. Batch M712283 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1887-1895 - Butts County Marriage Index 1887-1895. Batch M712282 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-80 - Butts County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Butts County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Butts County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Butts County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
Butts County Georgia Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Butts County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.